I have a friend who is OBSESSED with purses. In fact, I haven't had to buy a purse for a LONG time because I just borrow one of hers. She has so many, she never misses them!
When I was visiting her recently, I snagged 4 of them to take back home with me. She gave me the "OK" to dress them up a bit.
Here's the 1st one.....cute huh?
Friday, June 11, 2010
Gonna make it Cuter!....
First I sewed a little ribbon loop on the purse itself. I singed the edges so they wouldn't fray and just sewed each end down. I did it this way, so I wouldn't be stuck with only 1 look. I can change out the color, type and size of flower, whenever I want a new look.
Here's how I made this particular flower.
1)For this size, I used 3 different fabrics and cut 4, 4x4 squares, of each fabric, totaling 12 squares.
2, 3, 4) Next you fold the flower once, then twice....making a square.
Then fold the flower a third time, creating a point on one end and the edges all on the other end.
5, 6, 7, 8) With sharp scissors, cut the ends into a half circle. You will basically be making it look like an ice-cream cone.
9) Opening it up, you've got a flower with perfectly shaped petals. **The deeper the cut, the more pronounced your petals will be. Play around until you get what you like**
10, 11, 12) After cutting all 12 squares into a flower, fold them twice and then feed them onto a needle, variating the fabric. Pull both ends of the thread (not too tight!) and knot.
13) Next take a small circle of felt and glue on the back end of the flower. Make sure you have your petals arranged and spaced how you want. The felt is going to hold it all in place.
14) On the other side, use a button, a brad or some kind of jewel to put in the center. Super glue on...this too will hold it all together.
15) On the back side, I glued an alligator clip on. I always cover mine in ribbon AND put a piece of Velcro, (the scratchy side) on the inside. This helps your clips stay in your hair....great for active little girls!!!
16) I also put a brooch clip on, in case I want to wear it on my shirt.